Patscap end of mini-camp thoughts
Had some various thoughts that were not long enough to justify blogging on them so I decide to create this mish-mash.
* Doubt that the Hurns extension is a good comparable for Butler since it appears that Hurns wanted to become the highest paid #2 receiver by the new money APY metric. Butler is the Patriots #1 cornerback.
* With his torn ACL Michael Williams is likely to be placed on IR. His 2016 salary will be lowered from $525,000 to $348,000. Right now, his salary does not count against the Patriots cap since his cap number is not one of 51 highest cap numbers. Starting on September 7 his $348,000 salary will count against the cap. Williams is scheduled to be a RFA (Restricted Free Agent in 2017).
* Quoting Article 8 Section 1 from the CBA: “A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which he failed to report to such Club at least thirty days prior to the first regular season game of that season, or in which the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within thirty days of the application by the player, and shall be based upon all information relating to such hardship submitted by such date. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be final and binding upon all parties.”. This explains why Malcolm Butler will not hold out in 2016. He needs 2016 to be an accrued season in order to become a RFA in 2017. If he holds out, he will be an ERFA in 2017 and has to accept the Patriots tender for the minimum salary in order to play in 2017. A 1st round RFA tender in 2017 should be just shy of $4 million. An ERFA tender will be either $615,000 or $690,000.
* With Cody Kessler signed I now expect Jacoby Brissett to sign his rookie deal within a couple of days. He should receive a 4 year deal with a $680,604 signing bonus. His 2016 salary will be $450,000. His 2017 cash intake should be $605,038 (expect some to be an offseason workout bonus). His 2018 cash intake should be $760,076. His 2019 cash intake should be $915,114. I am presuming that Brissett will be getting 100% additional compensation like Kessler.
* As of 6/9/2016 10PM I have the Patriots with $9,709,249 in cap space. In 2013 the Patriots entered training camp with about 10m in cap space; in 2014, around 6 million; and in 2015, around 8.9 million.
* If you wish to know what Patriots players are eligible to be placed on the practice squad, I highly recommend bookmarking this blog piece of mine.
* Since Aaron Hernandez is back in the news, like to remind that I have blogged about his salary cap implications. Expect that one day that the Patriots will receive a $3.25 million credit on their cap because of Hernandez.
* I went back and look at the Week 1 rosters and discovered that since 2008 the Patriots had a player on Week 1 who was
1.) claimed on waivers
2.) traded for
3.) signed in free agency
so it is very likely that a current player on another team’s roster will be on the Patriots Week 1 roster.
* I still continue to believe that the Patriots will extend all of the Big Four (Hightower, Collins, Butler, Sheard) sometime between now and the end of the 2017 season. Do not expect all four to happen in 2016. Below are what I consider fair deals between the Patriots and the quartet. These deals are for before Week 1. Numbers would change if extension is made during 2016 and most likely increase if reached in 2017.
A call for a donation
A long-time family friend, my youngest sister’s best friend, is on the board of directors of a soup kitchen and food pantry in Malden, Massachusetts that serves over 400 low-income and homeless families per month. I am asking that if you have found my salary cap pages useful that if you are able to do so, please make a donation to the Bread of Life soup kitchen/food pantry. Their address is
Attn: Mea Quinn Mustone
Bread of Life
54 Eastern Avenue, Rear
Malden, MA 02148
Please mention this website Patscap.Com with your donation.
You can have a portion of your Amazon.Com purchases donated to the Bread of Life.
You can learn how to do so by watching a YouTube video at
Posted Under: Free Agency
Tags: brissett butler collins hightower sheard